There’s a nip in the air and the days are getting shorter. The leaves are turning and the smell of pumpkin latte is in the air. As our thoughts turn to sweater weather, fall festivities and Halloween fun, so should our plans for preparing our home for the upcoming winter months. With a little proactive maintenance now, your home will be more energy efficient, more comfortable as temperatures dip, and easier to make ready with warm spring weather arrives next year!
- Clean and stow your mower
- Service your snow blower
- Drain and disconnect garden hoses from faucets
- Drain and blow out your sprinkler system
- Seal air leaks with color matched or clear exterior caulk
- Remove debris from gutters – don’t forget the gutter spouts
- Safely check your roof for damaged shingles, black algae stains, and vent flashing
- Have your furnace and fireplace serviced so you’re ready for the first cold night
- Purchase a supply of appropriately sized furnace filters and plan to change on a monthly basis
- Check your smoke detectors and replace batteries
- Check and replace your fire extinguishers
- Trim plants and trees and remove leaves and debris from your yard and around your home
- Cut your grass shorter
- Aerate your lawn and overseed if needed
- Apply a winter weed and feed to your lawn
- Apply a water sealant (we like Thompson’s Water Seal) to your patio, porch and driveway to prevent concrete spalling
- Move any paint you’ve been storing in your garage to the interior of you home to prevent freezing
- Clean and store lawn furniture in preparation for next spring
- Prepare a winter driving kit and store it in your car
- Pick up a supply of fresh wood for winter firepits with roasted marshmallows and hot chocolate
With your home maintenance in order, you can now focus your efforts on how to have fun. For this, we suggest checking out Infinity Homes on Pinterest where we’ve been busy building our fall boards including Fall Decor, Pumpkin Everything and Tailgating at Home!
About Infinity Homes: With over a century of combined home building experience and over a decade of crafting fine homes, Infinity Homes builds new homes in Southern Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky. Locally owned, Infinity Homes offers a wide variety of home styles with optional lofts, finished lower levels and 3-car garages with prices starting in the high $100s. The 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 home builder of the Louisville St. Jude Dream Home, all homes include a long list of included designer features and options and a comprehensive Home Buyers 2-10 new home warranty.
Infinity Homes and Development. Life Starts Here.